The Center for Civil Society and Democracy in Syria (based in the USA) seeks a qualified candidate for the part-time position
The Center for Civil Society and Democracy in Syria (CCSDS) is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) organization. Our mission is to cultivate hope and support for the Syrian democratic movement through empowering Syrian civil society, building the bridge between the American public and Syrian civil society, and using the learning internationally and from Syria to achieve a future for Syria where sustainable peace and justice prevail. To fulfill our mission, CCSDS partners with different local organizations and strategic partners in Syria and in the neighboring countries. CCSDS and our partners have been working to strengthen and support Syrian civil society for more than a decade. Our programming supports sustainable and long term Syrian-led movements for peace, justice and democracy in Syria.
We are looking for an experienced individual who is enthusiastic about promoting CCSDS’ mission and moving the organization to the next level. The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the leadership, overall management and development of the CCSDS organization. The ED leads the organization, ensures compliance with regulations of our donors and the US government, oversees day-to-day activities and ensures CCSDS accomplishes its mission. In conjunction with the Board of Directors, the ED sets, prioritizes, implements, and evaluates policies, goals and objectives in support of the mission, and supervises all administrative tasks including HR related tasks. The ED reports to the Board of Directors.
CCSDS is an equal opportunity employer and offers a stimulating professional environment and the opportunity to work with a network of dedicated and committed professionals.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide oversight of day-to-day operations including all projects and programs.
- Ensure appropriate staffing for projects. Conduct regular meetings with staff and contractors.
- Oversee all contracts.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of monitoring and evaluation plans for new project proposals.
- Ensure all CCSD products, data, work and effect are archived
- Work to improve organizational efficiency, develop and document standard operating procedures.
- Solicit pro bono resources where needed and maintain relationships with pro bono vendors (law firms, universities, partner organizations, etc.).
- Oversee organizational risk management efforts (insurance coverage, minimizing legal liability, etc).
- Ensure that all registration and compliance requirements are met for our USA operations.
- Create/update organizational policies and procedures as needed for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Strategic Leadership
- Contribute to the governance, strategic planning and the annual budget of CCSDS and ensure that the strategic plan is translated into annual plans.
- Oversight of development, prioritization, implementation and evaluation of annual work plans to ensure CCSDS goals and strategic objectives are met.
- Establish annual communications goals; serve as the spokesperson for CCSDS.
- Ensure the evaluation of transparency, governance and development of the organization through clear plans, goals and indicators.
- Ensure ongoing monitoring and evaluation of the CCSDS as a whole and of all its programs and activities and making sure to serve the Syrians through our programs
- Lead programs, administration and development team, hold periodic meetings, quarterly and annual meetings and evaluate quarterly and annual plans.
- Support executive management processes by providing advice and reporting to Board members as well as acting as a liaison between the Board of Directors and the staff.
- Effectively manage human resources in accordance with the CCSDS HR manual. Responsible for staff recruitment, training and supervision and terminations.
- Provide quarterly reports to the Board of Directors.
- Fund Development
- Initiate and oversee all fundraising efforts.
- Initiate and actively engage in donor and grant or cultivation activities.
- Fiscal Management
- Serve as the main point of contact for CCSDS’ financial management services (bookkeeper,accountant, audit firm, etc.).
- Finalize the draft of the annual budget with the team to be approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure CCSDS’ sustainability through the provision of adequate grants and resources to carry out the work
- Oversee expenditures in accordance with board-approved annual operating budget, and manage CCSDS’s resources wisely within the budget guidelines.
- Provide financial oversight; oversee and review financial reports and provide feedback to the board of directors.
- Responsible for CCSDS’ Annual Financial Report.
- Board and Partner Relationships
- Build and maintain an effective working relationship with the President and the Board. Work with the board treasurer to ensure proper financial oversight by the board.
- Attend all board meetings.
- Regularly report to the board on all organizational activities and initiatives.
- Establish and cultivate synergistic relationships with strategic partner organizations in Turkey and Europe, furthering our shared goals.
- Ensure the continuous expansion of CCSDS relations at the local, national and international levels.
- Provide leadership and support on North America focused policy oriented efforts
- Contribute to the planning and reviewing of analytical and advocacy papers issued by the CCSD prior to issuance for approval.
- Contribute to the development of strategic and political messages in all social media formats in use and within donor reports and review them prior to issuance.
- Supervise the design, marketing and promotion of all CCSDS’s programs and projects including research analytical and advocacy papers.
Qualifications and skills
Ideal candidates for this position will:
- Hold a Master’s degree in Business or NGO Management / Administration,political science, peace building, women studies or a related discipline.
- Have at least 5 years experience working in administration and leading NGOs, preferably with annual budgets between $1-2 million or having at least 10 years of experience in a leadership role working in the civil society sector and have understanding of the Syrian context.
- Have the ability to represent CCSDS in national and international levels and the ability to create opportunities for public outreach.
- Have experience with office administration, financial management with excellent team management skills.
- Knowledge of anti-corruption and transparency mechanisms, and commitment to transparency in all functions.
- Knowledge of federal and state legislation applicable to NGOs, employment standards and employer requirements wrt taxation, health coverage etc.
- Have work experience in an international environment and with NGOs working in complex situations.
- Have the ability to meet deadlines while following through on multiple projects.
- Highly skilled in strategic planning, identifying opportunities for the enterprise, analyzing and providing solutions and creative ideas.
- Highly skilled at discovering the positive aspects and opportunities of CCSDS and pursuing them, and the weaknesses and the difficulties and offering proposals for overcoming them.
- Have the ability to speak and write fluent English. Ability to speak and write in Arabic is preferable but not required.
- Be a friendly, flexible, and supportive team member with excellent written and oral communication skills, and analytic skills.
- Be supportive of CCSDS’s mission and highly dedicated to contributing to our efforts to achieve it.
- Be eligible to work in the United States at time of hiring with ability to travel to Europe and/or the Middle East if required.
- Ability to speak/understand Arabic preferred.
Salary will be commensurate with experience based on a 25 hour work week with a view to this becoming a full-time role.
Employment may begin as soon as a candidate is hired, ideally the candidate will start in September 2022.
Please apply before midnight (EST), September 16, 2022. Both a letter of motivation and resume must be submitted to CCSDS via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Please use the subject line “Vacancy: Executive Director”.